Thursday, May 24, 2007

Dinner Time Fun

Dinner time is a lot of fun at our house. It is the time for us to sit down as a family and spend time together. It is always amazing what these kids will talk about. Jon and I are usually having a good laugh with the kids. Dinner starts off with a prayer where we all hold hands and then at the end we hold our hands up in the air and shout "YEAH GOD"! The kids really get into that part.
Ella loves to eat off of her mommy or daddy's plate. Even if she has the same thing she is always scoping out what we have. She is the most willing to try new things as well. I give her credit as the other two will NOT try something new no matter what.
I know that life gets busy and I am sure it will get even busier now with the kids getting older and activities will be right around the corner. However, I think the tradition of families sitting down to have dinner together is important and one that I remember doing as a child myself. I hope that this tradition can carry on well into the future for us.
Half the battle most of the time is finding the time to make dinner. I am not the world's greatest cook. My mother is a fantastic cook but I have never taken the time to learn how to cook. I can hold my own in the kitchen but I do get intimated easily. I am usually calling my mom to ask her certain questions about how to cook, cut, prepare, bake, etc.. My goal is to have enough time to really get into cooking. However, with three "almost" three year olds, it is not always easy to find the time.
I really struggle with dinner the days that I work. Unless I plan ahead, we are usually always scrapping something together. Last night, after working all week Jon and I decided to get Chinese take out. The kids like the rice but we made some Chicken Nuggets for them too as they are not really into Chinese food. We got three fortune cookies with our meal so each kid got one. There fortunes fit them so well last night. Here is what they said:

Ella's fortune said "You spark people's enthusiasm with your personality"

KJ's fortune said "People think more of you than you think they do"

Aimee's fortune said "A big change is coming your way soon" (Since she pooped her pants twice at dinner last night and she continues to poop in her pants on a daily basis, Jon and I looked at each other after we read her fortune and said "THANK GOD")

No comments: