Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Excuse this house

I am feeling so much better today. I still have a sore throat but life is good. I wish Jon could say the same. He is now not feeling all that great! This is not good news for him because I am working the next few days so he is going to be solo with the kids. I sure hope he feels better tomorrow. I can't wait for this nasty bug to get out of our lives!!!

*************
Today I was tasked with one of my least favorite things to do - the Dentist. I was going to cancel my appointment because of my illness but when I woke up feeling so much better I decided I better go as Jon was around to watch the kids and I had already cancelled once.

It was a successful visit as I do not have any cavities and I do not need any work done in my mouth at this point in time. It was also a successful visit as the Dental Hygienist and I had a great conversation about kids and life. All of her kids are now in their 20's so she is a veteran to this parenting stuff. She shared with me some great perspective today. She said "when the kids get older, they are not going to remember a dirty laundry room or dishes in the sink, they are going to remember all the memories they make with you and your time"! Now, I know that this is a no brainer but it was a great reminder to me to not worry so much about "picking up" but to slow down and cherish the time I have left with my awesome awesome children! This is definitely an area that I can improve on and one that I plan to focus on to devote some more quality time with my amazing children!
This also reminded me of a poem that I got from a friend of mine from MOPS:

Excuse This House

Some houses try to hide the fact that children shelter there;
Ours boasts of it quite openly, the signs are everywhere.
From smears on the windows, little smudges on the door;
I should apologize I guess, for the toys strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children, and we played and laughed and read;
And if the door bell doesn't shine, their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other;
I want to be a housewife.....but first I'll be a mother.

By Cindy Jacobs - Limited 1990

Thank you Cindy!

No comments: